09 May, 2010

Water and Ants

Life with a headache isn't so much fun...  Just for today, I hope!   Due most likely to several hours of painting walls above my head (with a roller on a pole/stick), lots of bright daylight (without sunglasses), and possibly not quite enough water.  "Minum air" [meenoom ah-eer]... I can't remember the word for 'lots of', but that means "drink water".  We sweat a lot (and I mean a LOT), so drinking water is vital.  The right water, though.  We have river water coming to the outside taps, the showers, the washing machines, etc.  Put river water in your mouth and you're likely to get a lot more than you bargained for.  The rivers here flow upside down, with the mud on top... and everything else that people upstream dump into it.  It's a wonder that clothing comes out of the wash clean, because the water going into the machine varies from grey to brown.  The sinks have rain water, which is collected off the roof.  This is okay to drink as long as it is boiled first.  For drinking water, there is a stainless steel drum in the kitchen which is filled with filtered rain water.  The common room has a jug and several bottles filled from this, and I also have a jug in my room that I fill from this source.  I use this water when brushing my teeth.  Awkward, but essential.  Most people carry a bottle of water to work with them.  I like to leave mine in the fridge overnight, then it doubles as a face-cooler for a while.  Some people even freeze theirs.


When filling a cup from a jug that has been sitting on a shelf or bench for a few hours, it is important to check your drink for ants.  Some of the ants here are so small they're really hard to see, especially when walking over my brown arm...  Anything spilt?  The ants will quickly find it and clean it up in a few hours.  When the grey speckled tiles on the bench look like they're moving, it's probably ants scurrying about, and somebody has neglected to clean up properly after mixing a drink. =)

No comments: