10 May, 2010

High Temperatures and Other Challenges


I'm told it's common for new-comers to get sick in some way in the first couple of weeks.  In that case, I'm par for the course.  Along with rather sore, slightly swollen feet as they try to adjust to the hard-surfaced mostly-barefoot life, and wrists that have been a bit jarred from working with a crowbar, yesterday I ran a high temperature.  I went to Nanga Pinoh with Malcolm (Mary's son-in-law), Mary, and Douglas.  On the way we stopped at the hospital to pick up some medicine for a couple of children.  That was an incredible amount of waiting!  Malcolm finally decided to go on to Nanga Pinoh and come back for the medicines.  But in the meantime, I was beginning to feel cold (it was raining, which brought a cool breeze with it), and my headache of the day before was returning, not to mention that my feet (well-supported in socks and sneakers with orthotic insoles) were complaining severely.
In Nanga Pinoh, I wandered up and down the street while Malcolm and Mary bought a TV and speakers (to go with the DVD player Mary had brought from NZ) and looked at fridges.  I found and bought a pair of sunglasses for about NZ$4.60.  I attract quite a bit of attention as I wander, being so tall and obviously foreign - and according to the nurse at the hospital, beautiful.  Hehe.
By the time we had finished at the electrical shop, I was beginning to shiver.  I wished I had a jacket (not something generally needed here) and I thought I was probably running a fever, since my head was quite hot.  I stayed in the vehicle after that, while the other three went to a few other shops.  When Douglas came back with a new shirt, I promptly asked if I could borrow it because I was cold.  Lol, naturally he thought I was joking, but when I explained, he let me wear it.  I knew for sure now that I had a high temperature.  At the small supermarket, Malcolm purchased the writing pad and notebook that I need, so that I could stay in the car.  By now, all sorts of ideas about what could be wrong with me were running through my head - as they do - and I just wanted to get back to my bed.
I couldn't be too bad, though, because my brain and my sense of humour were still working.  When we arrived back at Living Waters, via the hospital to pick up the medicines, driving over half an hour on awful road, 5 minutes on wonderfully smooth tarseal, and about ten minutes of graded gravel road (the logging road - it's kept in much better condition than other roads), I went straight to bed while the others went in to dinner.  After dinner, I went to see the nurses at the clinic, where I found that my temperature was 39.5degC, and that my sore feet probably just needed a good rest.  They and Mary prayed for me, gave me paracetimol and instructions for cooling off and staying cool, and sent me to bed.
Before I drifted off to sleep, I listened to the singing coming from the Sunday evening meeting.  How I love to hear them sing!  I want to learn the songs.  That's why I needed writing paper - so that I can write things down and get them translated, thereby learning more of the language at the same time as being able to understand what I'm singing, which is always a good thing.

This morning I am much better.  My temperature has dropped, the headache is absent, and I have had breakfast.  My feet are still sore, but I'm taking the day off the hard labour, hehe.  I may take tomorrow off as well, but we shall see.  I'm praying for speedy recovery.
I definitely felt prayed for yesterday morning, as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit wrapped me in a group hug, and in spite of my discomfort yesterday afternoon, I was able to face the enemy and say, "You shall not discourage me.  I am a daughter of the King, and though I am weak and barely able to stand at this moment, He will fight for me, and He will have others fighting for me.  He has brought me here for a purpose.  You shall not discourage me, and I shall rise to fight again."  When Mary prayed for me, she said (I can't remember her exact words), that the Lord would heal and strengthen me, not because of my love for Him, but because of His love for me, which fact brings tears to my eyes.  I am so glad I'm not doing this alone.
At present I'm sitting in the computer room, with children's voices and a tape or CD of children's music coming from the preschool next door.  This is very pleasant.  Later today, between rests and drinks of water, I intend to do some language study - at least write down all the words I've already learned to help stick them in my head.

No comments: