04 May, 2010

Bits and Pieces

I share a room with an English girl  - who is leaving on Wednesday, so soon I shall have a bathroom to myself, and the bottom bunk to sleep on.  I may try turning off the fan at night, too, for less noise.  Our room is on the corner of the building, so we have plenty of windows, which means airflow.  The next room along, which has a connecting door to ours (so does the room behind), only has the window next to their outside door, and not much breeze comes from that way.  There often isn't a breeze, anyway.  I don't know what the temperatures have been, but I certainly can't complain of the cold!
I feel right at home with the western girls that are here - nearly all of us are over 5'7".  We stand out in this country of short people.  When I came through customs in Kuching Airport, I looked around and thought I was probably the only woman there who could comfortably lean her elbow on the counter.  Some of them couldn't even see over it!  When we stepped out of the airport, I said to Douglas and Mary (my travel companions), "Well, I should be easy to find around here."  I haven't changed that opinion yet.  I'm taller than most, if not all, of the Indonesian men here, too.  Thankfully, the missionary men are all reasonably tall, or I might get a complex, hehe.
Dogs are common in Indonesia.  In fact, the two roadkill I saw in Malaysia were dogs.  Most of the dogs are of the same type, a medium-sized dog with a foxy head and slender build.  We have quite a number here at Living Waters, including 8 puppies that are about 3 weeks old.  They are very cute, especially when they're all sleeping in a drain among the wheels of a couple of parked bicycles...
The scenery is fantastic.  If some of the buildings here were in New Zealand, they would be worth millions just because of their views.

No comments: