06 March, 2005

March '05 Brief

At Taratahi going into 7th week. Doing fine. Will start writing updates when I get my diary sheets back and have some spare time in the evening, hopefully this week. Lectures this week, which I have every third week. In spite of the working day being shorter on lectures (8:30 - 16:30), I never seem to have an extra hour; it fills up with other things. A brief look at what I've been doing so far:
Week1: Orientation
W2: Tech 2 (mostly electric fences and moving stock - on foot)
W3: Tech 1 (more fencing - on deer unit "Arahura")
W4: Lectures
W5: Agriculture (lots of tractor-driving, drain-laying, and some digger-driving)
W6: Glenburn Station (Friday - instead of Sunday - return so that we could work at the Golden Shears on Saturday. It was great.)

Week 5 was my favourite week so far, followed closely by 6. Wednesday of W5 was my best day on course so far.
Life in the hostel can be quite a trial at times. Last night and the night before I had rowdy neighbours, so am seriously lacking in sleep, which is not a good lead-in for Lectures!
I've put on weight. The food is excellent. They manage really well with my gluten-and-dairy-free diet. Most of the extra weight is muscle from all the hard work, such as digging post holes, controlling a quad (hard on the shoulders), and hefting sheep about, but I've gained a little bit as "reserve", too. Bruises come and go. At present I have 5 or 6 on/around my left knee in varying shades. Any more and I think I could accurately describe that knee as 'all black and blue'.

Coming up:
W7: Lectures
Home for weekend.
W8: Tech 3 (gates, fences, butchery, welding - I won't know exactly until I'm into it)
W9: Tech 2
Easter Holiday - home for long weekend.
W10: Lectures
W11: Glenburn
Holidays! (2 weeks)

No comments: