26 March, 2005

Week 1 - Orientation; January 24-30

[Anything in quotes ("...") is a direct quote from my diary sheet.]
Arrived 11:20 on Monday, settled in, and started meeting people, very few of whose names I remembered until well into the week. (Some people I only matched up with names after six or seven weeks.) Made contact with Masterton croquet club about days and times. Called home with correct holiday dates, as we had been informed incorrectly.
Tuesday: Day's activity started at 8:15 in the dining room/lounge, where all hostel meetings are held. We went through all the details of the Welcome Book, at which time I discovered that we have weekly diary sheets to fill in which make up 50% of our weekly marks. These diary sheets are what I'm using to write up this blog. After the first week, tutors have been complaining that they don't want a novel to read... (Except for lecture weeks, my diary sheet usually extends from the given single page to 3 or 4 pages.) I tell them it's for posterity. ;c) I also discovered at this meeting that there is a student older than myself, Dick Tredwell (41). He's English, ex-army (22 years), lives off-campus on 90 acres with young son and daughter, wife getting out of British army end of year. We both find great relief in being able to have sensible conversation, particularly at lunch-time, after the mostly-nonsense of the other students! 10:00. Agriculture with Ivan (more commonly known as Ebb - his sons called him Ebenezer Scrooge), getting an overview of what is coming. It does look as though I'll be learning to overhaul an engine, but I'm not sure to what extent. 11:00. Tech 1 with Alistair. It was nice to be already familiar with one aspect - the woolshed. 11:30. Tech 2 with Dave. "I hope memories of those photographs do not affect my sleep, but it is an excellent caution in the use of chainsaws and all other potentially hazardous equipment." Lunchbreak is always 12:00-13:00, plus an extra half hour on Tuesdays for lunch-time leave (so we can get into town while the banks, etc, are open). 13:00. Lectures with Shane and Martin. "I was almost daunted for a moment by the volume of paper, but deciding to take it one day at a time and remembering that I don't have to sink when there are others to help me swim helped to put it in perspective, and I relaxed again." 14:00. Dairy with Chris. "By now I was starting to get information overload." 15:00. Tech 3 with Callum. "I'm not sure that I heard much, as I was getting sleepy, but on being told that not completing non-compulsory units, such as spraying or building repairs (because of the weather) or killing animals, would not be a big issue, I determined to accomplish every single possible credit. The more I learn this year, the less to learn later, and the more valuable I will be as an employee." We finished with a trip to town, which I put to good use, learning where things are. The day's activities closed with a hostel meeting. "A summary of the day would put the predominant memories as 'Safety First', the impatience and negative attitude of certain students, and the often very wide gap between myself and the other students - and not necessarily because of age. I am, nonetheless, very excited about the year ahead."
Wednesday: Tech 2. Shifted sheep, watched killing of pig and helped scald and shave it. "Interesting fact: pig's head must be screwed off." Skinned half of a sheep. Jetted sheep against fly strike, taking my turn with the spray gun, and admininstering Maggo to fly-blown sheep. "Changed from gumboots to lace-ups (steel caps), but not having broken them in, had to change back to gumboots after fetching sheep because of blisters." Drove the tractor 30m, and helped return sheep to another paddock.
Thursday: Out to Glenburn - overnight. Tech Tour. "Callum drove us to Taonui, pointing out landmarks, etc. We went all the way to the airstrip and back. I had packed my notebook instead of carrying it, so I could take no notes. By the end of the day I had received so much information that I had forgotten a lot." Farm Management. "Here I learned something of the history of Glenburn and the stock... We went out to the yards to trap a couple of steers in the race so the we could see inside their mouth. Next I discovered how unfit I am. We moved a group of sheep into a wide race so that we could learn to lay them down and tie them. I succeeded with a bit of coaching from Dave, but was puffing heavily during and after the operation. I later discovered I had strained my shoulder a bit, too. That session and the next tied pretty closely for favourite of the day. The next was quads, with which I had no experience at all. Ivan did a good job of teaching me, and I had soon completed the required circuits. Then came a great ride up to the tops where the view was stunning. Unfortunately I had to concentrate on the track and practising gear changes, so full appreciation waited until the next day. I was a little stiff in places after that ride, but the satisfaction of a new accomplishment made up for it. Last session of the day was Weeds&Grasses. I liked the taste of Pasja, both leaf and root. Thistles, barley grass, perennial ryegrass, and four different clovers were also looked at, dug up, and discussed. Later I also spotted some Italian ryegrass. We ended the session by learning how to press the plants."
Friday: "First session of the day was Kitchen with Steve. Being very experienced in this area, helping to make scones was a breeze. It will be fun to be 'cook for the day' while on Glenburn duty. The Glenburn Tour with Brent (BA) rounded things off nicely." Back to Taratahi for dinner.
Saturday: Croquet - lost first game [doubles] 13-15 (3 hoops mine); won second game [singles] 11-6. Made farming contacts in the process. Good possibilities for work experience.

No comments: