12 November, 2013

Beside Still Waters

I had my first swim in Blue Lake yesterday!  First non-chlorinated swim in years.  The water was very pleasant and so was the sunny air, so at first I just stood in the water up to my waist.  I wasn't sure how my arm, shoulder, and back muscles would react to the cool water (cold tends to make the muscles tense very quickly), but eventually I sank up to my neck, and splashed and soaked and luxuriated for ten minutes or so.  It was pleasant enough to have stayed in much longer, but I decided to start gently - and I wasn't wearing sunscreen. (c;
As I sat in my shaded car after eating my lunch, watching the learner water-skiers, the number of cars and people began to increase.  I didn't want busyness and people noise, so I started to head home.  But I really wanted to stay out there in the sun and open air, and the Lord asked me why I was running away when I wanted to stay...!  I guess I was also getting used to the idea that it's okay for me to sit out there enjoying the view and doing nothing much for hours on end.  So I returned to a different spot, up on the grassy hill away from everybody, in the sun and with a grand view.  I laid my togs and towel on the grass to dry, spread a blanket in another spot, and settled down to rest.  Wary of a second round of sunburn inside 10 days, I discovered some ancient sunscreen in my togbag - which seems to be still effective, haha.
It was a wonderful hour or so of rest.  Eventually I felt a bit more lively and thought I would head home, but in getting into the car, I got to talking with the Lord and never went anywhere...! Lol.  Then I got so warm sitting there that I needed a walk in the cool shade, so down to the lakeside I went and wandered around the track a wee way.  I was planning to go out to the women's prayer meeting in the evening, so I didn't want to walk the whole track.  I did that last week and found the hour-and-a-half walk was a bit too much.  So this time I found a nice spot to sit and look down at the water.  Very, very pleasant.  Refreshing.  Restorative.
By the time I headed back into town somewhat after 4pm, I was feeling totally relaxed and mentally alert.  Definitely prepared for an evening out.  The shared meal at the meeting starts at 5:30pm, but I dilly-dallied a fair bit, and there was no inspiration for food preparation in fridge or cupboard so, by now casually running about 10 minutes late, I stopped at the Four Square and bought a cheesecake for dessert.
When I arrived at Lorraine's, there were no other cars.  No one else was coming... a whole cheesecake to share between two!  Lol.  Neither of us was hungry for a proper meal, so I ate half of the cold, delicious, boysenberry cheesecake, Lorraine at a quarter, and I left the last quarter for her in the fridge.  Mmmm!  Around it we had a blessed time talking and then praying together.  Home about 9:30pm as I began to feel sleepy.  Ahh, what a peaceful, relaxing, yet somehow invigorating day!

No comments: